Exact 3D solutions and finite element 2D models for free vibration analysis of plates and cylinders
The paper proposes a comparison between classical two-dimensional (2D) finite elements (FEs) and an exact three-dimensional (3D) solution for the free vibration analysis of one-layered and multilayered isotropic, composite and sandwich plates and cylinders. Low and high order frequencies are analyzed for thick and thin simply supported structures. Vibration modes are investigated to make a comparison between results obtained via the finite element method and those obtained by means of the exact three-dimensional solution. The 3D exact solution is based on the differential equations of equilibrium written in general orthogonal curvilinear coordinates. This exact method is based on a layer-wise approach, the continuity of displacements and transverse shear/normal stresses is imposed at the interfaces between the layers of the structure. The geometry for shells is considered without any simplifications. The 2D finite element results are obtained by means of a well-known commercial FE code. The differences between 2D FE solutions and 3D exact solutions depend on the considered mode, the order of frequency, the thickness ratio of the structure, the geometry, the embedded material and the lamination sequence.
-  A.W. Leissa, Vibration of Plates, NASA SP-160, Washington,1969.
-  A.W. Leissa, Vibration of Shells, NASA SP-288, Washington,1973.
-  S. Werner, Vibrations of Shells and Plates, 3rd edition: revisedand expanded, CRC Press, New York: Marcel Dekker Inc., 2004.
-  S. Brischetto and E. Carrera, Importance of higher order modesand refined theories in free vibration analysis of compositeplates, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 77, 1-14, 2010.[WoS]
-  S. Brischetto, Exact elasticity solution for natural frequencies offunctionally graded simply-supported structures, CMES: ComputerModeling in Engineering & Sciences, 95, 391-430, 2013.
-  S. Brischetto, A continuum elastic three-dimensional model fornatural frequencies of single-walled carbon nanotubes, CompositesPart B: Engineering, 61, 222-228, 2014.[WoS]
-  S. Brischetto, Three-dimensional exact free vibration analysisof spherical, cylindrical, and flat one-layered panels, Shock andVibration, 2014, 1-29, 2014.[WoS]
-  MSC Nastran, Products (http://www.mscsoftware.com/product/msc-nastran, accessed on 4th November 2014).
-  S. Aimmanee and R.C. Batra, Analytical solution for vibration ofan incompressible isotropic linear elastic rectangular plate, andfrequencies missed in previous solutions, Journal of Sound andVibration, 302, 613-620, 2007.[WoS]
-  R.C. Batra and S. Aimmanee, Letter to the Editor: Missing frequenciesin previous exact solutions of free vibrations of simplysupported rectangular plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration,265, 887-896, 2003.
-  S. Srinivas, C.V. Joga Rao and A.K. Rao, An exact analysis for vibrationof simply-supported homogeneous and laminated thickrectangular plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 12, 187-199,1970.[Crossref]
-  S. Srinivas, A.K. Rao and C.V.J. Rao, Flexure of simply supportedthick homogeneous and laminated rectangular plates,Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, 49, 449-458, 1969.
-  R.C. Batra, S. Vidoli and F. Vestroni, Plane wave solutions andmodal analysis in higher order shear and normal deformableplate theories, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 257, 63-88,2002.
-  J.Q. Ye, A three-dimensional free vibration analysis of cross-plylaminated rectangular plates with clamped edges, ComputerMethods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 140, 383-392,1997.
-  A. Messina, Three dimensional free vibration analysis of crossplylaminated plates through 2D and exact models, 3rd InternationalConference on Integrity, Reliability and Failure, Porto(Portugal), 20-24 July 2009.
-  Y.K. Cheung and D. Zhou, Three-dimensional vibration analysisof cantilevered and completely free isosceles triangularplates, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 39, 673-687, 2002.
-  K.M. Liew and B. Yang, Three-dimensional elasticity solutionsfor free vibrations of circular plates: a polynomials-Ritz analysis,Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 175,189-201, 1999.
-  Y.B. Zhao, G.W. Wei and Y. Xiang, Discrete singular convolutionfor the prediction of high frequency vibration of plates, InternationalJournal of Solids and Structures, 39, 65-88, 2002.
-  G.W. Wei, Y.B. Zhao and Y. Xiang, A novel approach for the analysisof high-frequency vibrations, Journal of Sound and Vibration,257, 207-246, 2002.
-  H. Rokni Damavandi Taher, M. Omidi, A.A. Zadpoor and A.A.Nikooyan, Short Communication: Free vibration of circular andannular plates with variable thickness and different combinationsof boundary conditions, Journal of Sound and Vibration,296, 1084-1092, 2006.
-  Y. Xing and B. Liu, New exact solutions for free vibrations of rectangularthin plates by symplectic dual method, Acta MechanicaSinica, 25, 265-270, 2009.[WoS]
-  S.S. Vel and R.C. Batra, Three-dimensional exact solution forthe vibration of functionally graded rectangular plates, Journalof Sound and Vibration, 272, 703-730, 2004.
-  W.-Q. Chen, H.-J. Ding and R.-Q. Xu, On exact analysis of free vibrationsof embedded transversely isotropic cylindrical shells,International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 75, 961-966, 1998.
-  B. Gasemzadeh, R. Azarafza, Y. Sahebi and A. Motallebi, Analysisof free vibration of cylindrical shells on the basis of threedimensional exact elasticity theory, Indian Journal of Scienceand Technology, 5, 3260-3262, 2012.
-  N.N. Huang, Exact analysis for three-dimensional free vibrationsof cross-ply cylindrical and doubly-curved laminates, Acta Mechanica,108, 23-34, 1995.
-  J.N. Sharma, D.K. Sharma and S.S. Dhaliwal, Three-dimensionalfree vibration analysis of a viscothermoelastic hollow sphere,Open Journal of Acoustics, 2, 12-24, 2012.
-  J.N. Sharma and N. Sharma, Three-dimensional free vibrationanalysis of a homogeneous transradially isotropic thermoelasticsphere, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 77, 1-9, 2010.[WoS]
-  K.P. Soldatos and J. Ye, Axisymmetric static and dynamic analysisof laminated hollow cylinders composed of monoclinic elasticlayers, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 184, 245-259, 1995.
-  A.E. Armenakas, D.C. Gazis and G. Herrmann, Free Vibrations ofCircular Cylindrical Shells, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1969.
-  A. Bhimaraddi, A higher order theory for free vibration analysisof circular cylindrical shells, International Journal of Solids andStructures, 20, 623-630, 1984.
-  H. Zhou, W. Li, B. Lv and W.L. Li, Free vibrations of cylindricalshellswith elastic-support boundary conditions, Applied Acoustics,73, 751-756, 2012.[WoS]
-  S.M.R. Khalili, A. Davar and K.M. Fard, Free vibration analysisof homogeneous isotropic circular cylindrical shells based ona new three-dimensional refined higher-order theory, InternationalJournal of Mechanical Sciences, 56, 1-25, 2012.[WoS]
-  S.S. Vel, Exact elasticity solution for the vibration of functionallygraded anisotropic cylindrical shells, Composite Structures, 92,2712-2727, 2010.[WoS]
-  C.T. Loy and K.Y. Lam, Vibration of thick cylindrical shells on thebasis of three-dimensional theory of elasticity, Journal of Soundand Vibration, 226, 719-737, 1999.
-  Y.Wang, R. Xu, H. Ding and J. Chen, Three-dimensional exact solutionsfor free vibrations of simply supportedmagneto-electroelasticcylindrical panels, International Journal of EngineeringScience, 48, 1778-1796, 2010.[WoS]
-  E. Efraim and M. Eisenberger, Exact vibration frequencies ofsegmented axisymmetric shells, Thin-Walled Structures, 44,281-289, 2006.
-  J.-H. Kanga and A.W. Leissa, Three-dimensional vibrations ofthick spherical shell segments with variable thickness, InternationalJournal of Solids and Structures, 37, 4811-4823, 2000.
-  K.M. Liew, L.X. Peng and T.Y. Ng, Three-dimensional vibrationanalysis of spherical shell panels subjected to different boundaryconditions, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences,44, 2103-2117, 2002.
-  F.B. Hildebrand, E. Reissner and G.B. Thomas, Notes on theFoundations of the Theory of Small Displacements of OrthotropicShells, NACA Technical Note No. 1833, Washington, 1949.
-  F. Tornabene, Meccanica delle Strutture a Guscio in MaterialeComposito, Societá Editrice Esculapio, Bologna (Italy), 2012.
-  W. Soedel, Vibration of Shells and Plates, Marcel Dekker, Inc.,New York, 2004.
-  G.B. Gustafson, Systems of Differential Equations, freeavailable on http://www.math.utah.edu/gustafso/, accessedon 16th September 2014.
-  W.E. Boyce and R.C. DiPrima, Elementary Differential Equationsand Boundary Value Problems, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., NewYork, 2001.
-  D. Zwillinger, Handbook of Differential Equations, AcademicPress, New York, 1997.
-  C. Molery and C. Van Loan, Nineteen dubious ways to computethe exponential of a matrix, twenty-five years later, SIAM Review,45, 1-46, 2003.