Chaotic mixing by oscillating a Stokeslet in a circular Hele-Shaw microfluidic device
Chaotic mixing by oscillating a Stokeslet in a circular Hele-Shaw microffluidic device is presented in this article. Mathematical modeling for the induced flow motions by moving a Stokeslet along the x-axis is derived using Fourier expansion method. The solution is formulated in terms of the velocity stream function. The model is then used to explore different stirring dynamics as function of the Stokeslet parameters. For instance, the effects of using various oscillation amplitudes and force strengths are investigated. Mixing patterns using Poincaré maps are obtained numerically and have been used to characterize the mixing efficiency. Results have shown that, for a given Stokeslet’s strength, efficient mixing can be obtained when small oscillation amplitudes are used. The present mixing platform is expected to be useful for many of biomicrofluidic applications.
-  K. Ward and Z. Hugh Fan “Mixing in microfluidic devices and enhancement methods" J. Micromech. Microeng. 25 094001 (2015) [Crossref]
-  Y. Aboelkassem “Numerical simulation of electroosmotic complex flow patterns in a microchannel" Comput. Fluids 52 104- 115 (2011) [WoS][Crossref]
-  H.Wang, P. Iovenitti, E. Harvey and S.Masood “Numerical investigation of mixing in microchannels with patterned grooves" J. Micromech. Microeng. 13 801 (2003) [Crossref]
-  N. Nguyen and Z. Wu “Micromixers-a review" J. Micromech. Microeng. 15 R1 (2005) [Crossref]
-  C. Chang and R. Yang “Electrokinetic mixing in microfluidic systems" Microfluid. Nanofluidics 3 501 (2007)
-  T. Frommelt, M.Kostur, M. Wenzel-Scháfer, P. Talkner, P. Hánggi, and A.Wixforth, “Microfluidic Mixing via Acoustically Driven Chaotic Advection," Phys. Rev. Lett., 100, 034502 (2008) [WoS]
-  C. Lee, C. Chang, Y. Wang and L. Fu “Microfluidic mixing:a review" Int. J. Mol. Sci. 12 3263 (2011) [WoS][Crossref]
-  S. Wang, X. Huang and C. Yang “Mixing enhancement for high viscous fluids in a microfluidic chamber" Lab Chip 11 2081 (2011) [WoS][Crossref]
-  H. Aref, “Stirring by chaotic advection," J. Fluid Mech. 143, 1 (1984).
-  H. Aref, “Chaotic advection of fluid particles," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 434, 273-289 (1990).
-  J. M. Ottino, The Kinematics of Mixing (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1989).
-  J.M. Ottino,“Mixing, chaotic advection, and turbulence," Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech, 22, 207-53 (1990). [Crossref]
-  H. Aref and S. Balachandar,“Chaotic advection in a Stokes flow," Phys. Fluids 29, 3515 (1986). [Crossref]
-  J. Chaiken, R. Chevray, M. Tabor, and O. M. Tan,“Experimental study of Lagrangian turbulence in a Stokes flow," Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 408, 165 (1986)
-  S. W. Jones and H. Aref “Chaotic advection in pulsed source–sink systems," Phys. Fluids 31, 469 (1988). [Crossref]
-  Yong Kweon Suh,“A chaotic stirring by an oscillating point vortex," J. of The Phys. Soc. of Japan,60,896-906 (1991).
-  V.V. Meleshko and H. Aref,“A blinking rotlet model for chaotic advection," Phys. Fluids 8, 3215 (1996). [Crossref]
-  H. Aref, “The development of chaotic advection" Phys. Fluids 14,1315(2002). [Crossref]
-  X. Niu X and Y. Lee “Efficient spatial-temporal chaotic mixing in microchannels" J. Micromech. Microeng. 13 454 (2003) [Crossref]
-  A. Beuf, J-N Gence, P. Carriére, and F. Raynal“Chaotic mixing efficiency in different geometries of Hele-Shaw cells," Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 53, 684-693 (2010).
-  G. Metcalfe, D. Lester, A. Ord, P. Kulkarni, M. Rudman, M. Trefry, B. Hobbs, K. Regenaur-Lieb and J. Morris, “An experimental and theoretical study of the mixing characteristics of a periodically reoriented irrotational flow," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 368, 2147–2162 (2010).
-  Z.Che, N. Nguyen and T. Wong “Analysis of chaotic mixing in plugs moving in meandering microchannels" Phys. Rev. E 84 066309 (2011). [WoS]
-  D. R. Lester, G. Metcalfe, and M. G. Trefry, “Is Chaotic Advection Inherent to Porous Media Flow ? " Phys. Rev. Lett., 111, 174101 (2013). [WoS]
-  D. Palaniappan and Prabir Daripa,“Interior Stokes flows with stick-slip boundary conditions," Physica A,297,37–63(2001).