Prediction of natural frequencies of laminated curved panels using refined 2-D theories in the spectral collocation method
This paper presents a versatile and efficientmodeling and solution framework for free vibration analysis of composite laminated cylindrical and spherical panels modeled according to two-dimensional equivalent singlelayer and layerwise theories of variable order.Aunified formulation of the equations of motion is adopted which can be used for both thin and thick structures. The discretization procedure is based on the spectral collocation method and is presented in a compact matrix form which can be directly and easily implemented. The convergence and accuracy of the proposed approach is evaluated for panels having different boundary conditions, thickness and shallowness ratios, and lamination layups.
-  V.V. Novozhilov, Thin shell theory, P. Noordhoff, 1964.
-  H. Kraus, Thin elastic shells, John Wiley & Sons, 1967.
-  E. Ventsel, T. Krauthammer, Thin plates and shells, Marcel Dekker, 2001.
-  W. Soedel, Vibration of shells and plates, Marcel Dekker, 2004.
-  A.W. Leissa, Vibration of shells, NASA-SP-288, 1973.
-  K.M. Liew, S. Kitipornchai, C.M. Wang, Vibration of shallow shells: A reviewwith bibliography, Applied Mechanics Review, 50, 1997, 431-444.
-  M.S. Qatu, Recent research advances in the dynamic behavior of shells: 1989-2000, Part 2: Homogeneous shells, Applied Mechanics Review, 55 (2002), 415-434.
-  A.K. Noor, W.S. Burton, Assessment of computational models for multilayered composite shells, Applied Mechanics Review, 43 (1990), 67-97. [Crossref]
-  M.S. Qatu, Recent research advances in the dynamic behavior of shells: 1989-2000, Part 1: Laminated composite shells, Applied Mechanics Review, 55 (2002), 415-434.
-  L. Meirovitch, Computational methods in structural dynamics, Sijthoff & Noordhoff, 1980.
-  A.W. Leissa, M.S. Qatu, Vibration of continuous systems, McGraw-Hill, 2011.
-  K.P. Soldatos, V.P. Hadjigeorgiou, Three-dimensional solution of the free vibration problem of homogeneous isotropic cylindrical shells and panels, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 137 (1990), 369-384. [Crossref]
-  J. Ye, K.P. Soldatos, Three-dimensional vibration of laminated cylinders and cylindrical panels with symmetric or antisymmetric cross-ply lay-up, Composites Engineering, 4 (1994), 429-444. [Crossref]
-  K.M. Liew, L.X. Peng, T.Y. Ng, Three-dimensional vibration analysis of spherical shell panels subjected to different boundary conditions, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 44 (2002), 2103-2117. [Crossref]
-  E. Asadi, W. Wang, M.S. Qatu, Static and vibration analyses of thick deep laminated cylindrical shells using 3D and various shear deformation theories, Composite Structures, 94 (2012), 494-500. [Crossref]
-  E. Carrera, Theories and finite elements for multilayered plates and shells: a unified compact formulation with numerical assessment and benchmarking, Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, 10 (2003), 215-296. [Crossref]
-  K.M. Liew, X. Zhao, A.J.M. Ferreira, A review of mesh less methods for laminated and functionally graded plates and shells, Composite Structures, 93 (2011), 2031-2041. [Crossref][WoS]
-  F. Tornabene, 2-D GDQ solution for free vibrations of anisotropic doubly-curved shells and panels of revolution, Composite Structures, 93 (2011), 1854-1876. [WoS]
-  E. Asadi, M.S. Qatu, Free vibration of thick laminated cylindrical shells with different boundary conditions using general differential quadrature, Journal of Vibration and Control, 19 (2012), 356- 366. [Crossref][WoS]
-  F. Tornabene, E. Viola, N. Fantuzzi, General higher-order equivalent single layer theory for free vibrations of doubly-curved laminated composite shells and panels, Composite Structures, 104 (2013), 94-117. [Crossref]
-  E. Carrera, Layer-wise mixed models for accurate vibration analysis of multilayered plates, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 65 (1998), 820-828. [Crossref]
-  C. Canuto, M.Y. Hussaini, A. Quarteroni, T.A. Zang, Spectral Methods - Fundamentals in Single Domains, Springer, Berlin, 2006.
-  B. Fornberg, A Practical Guide to Pseudospectral Methods, Cambridge University Press, 1996.
-  A.J.M Ferreira, E. Carrera, M. Cinefra, C.M.C. Roque, Analysis of laminated doubly-curved shells by a layerwise theory and radial basis functions collocation, accounting for through-thethickness deformation, Computational Mechanics, 48 (2011), 13- 25. [Crossref]
-  F.A. Fazzolari, E. Carrera, Advances in the Ritz formulation for free vibration response of doubly-curved anisotropic laminated composite shallow and deep shells, Composite Structures, 101 (2013), 111-128. [Crossref]
-  L. Dozio, E. Carrera, A variable kinematic Ritz formulation for vibration study of quadrilateral plates with arbitrary thickness, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 330 (2011), 4611-4632. [WoS][Crossref]
-  L. Dozio, E. Carrera, Ritz analysis of vibrating rectangular and skew multilayered plates based on advanced variable-kinematic models, Composite Structures, 94 (2012), 2118-2128. [WoS][Crossref]
-  L. Dozio, Natural frequencies of sandwich plates with FGM core via variable-kinematic 2-D Ritz models, Composite Structures, 96 (2013), 561-568. [WoS][Crossref]
-  J.N. Reddy, Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells: Theory and Analysis, CRC Press, 2004.
-  J.A.C. Weideman, S.C. Reddy, A MATLAB differentiation matrix suite, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 26 (2000), 465-519. [Crossref]