ABR traffic control over multisource single-bottleneck ATM networks
The problem of flow control in fast, connection-oriented communication networks supporting the traffic generated by multiple sources is considered. A novel sampled time strategy governing the behaviour of the sources is proposed. The strategy combines the Smith principle with the conventional sampled time proportional controller. It guarantees an equal resource allocation between various users, full bottleneck link utilisation and no cell loss in the controlled network. Consequently, the need for cell retransmission is eliminated and a high throughput is ensured. Furthermore, transmission rates generated by the algorithm are limited. This property permits a direct implementation of the proposed strategy in the network environment. A simulation example confirms favourable performances of the proposed control scheme.
- Chong S., Nagarajan R. and Wang Y.T. (1998): First-order rate-based flow control with dynamic queue threshold for high-speed wide-area ATM networks. - Comp. Netw. ISDN Syst., Vol. 29, No. 17-18, pp. 2201-2212.
- Gómez-Stern F., Fornes J.M. and Rubio F.R. (2002): Dead-time compensation for ABR traffic control over ATM networks. - Contr. Eng. Prac., Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 481-491.
- Imer O.C., Compans S., Basar T. and Srikant R. (2001): Available bit rate congestion control in ATM networks. - IEEE Contr. Syst. Mag., pp. 38-56.
- Izmailov R. (1995): Adaptive feedback control algorithms for large data transfers in high-speed networks. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr., Vol. 40, No. 8, pp. 1469-1471.
- Jagannathan S. and Talluri J. (2002): Predictive congestion control of ATM networks: Multiple sources single buffer scenario. - Automatica, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 815-820.
- Jain R. (1996): Congestion control and traffic management in ATM networks: Recent advances and a survey. - Comput. Netw. ISDN Syst., Vol. 28, No. 13, pp. 1723-1738.
- Kulkarni L.A. and Li S. (1998): Performance analysis of a rate-based feedback control scheme. - IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 797-810.
- Laberteaux K.P., Rohrs Ch.E. and Antsaklis P.J. (2002): A practical controller for explicit rate congestion control. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr., Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 960-978.
- Lengliz I. and Kamoun F. (2000): A rate-based flow control method for ABR service in ATM networks. - Comput. Networks, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 129-138.
- Mascolo S. (1997): Smith's principle for congestion control in high speed ATM networks. - Proc. 36th IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, San Diego, pp. 4595-4600.
- Mascolo S. (1999): Congestion control in high-speed communication networks using the Smith principle. - Automatica, Vol. 35, No. 12, pp. 1921-1935.
- Mascolo S. (2000): Smith's principle for congestion control in high-speed data networks. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr., Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 358-364.
- Quet P.F., Ataslar B., Iftar A., Ozbay H., Kalyanaraman S. and Kang T. (2002): Rate-based flow controllers for communication networks in the presence of uncertain time-varying multiple time-delays. - Automatica, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 917-928.