Fuzzy-arithmetic-based Lyapunov synthesis in the design of stable fuzzy controllers: A computing-with-words approach
A novel approach to designing stable fuzzy controllers with perception-based information using fuzzy-arithmetic-based Lyapunov synthesis in the frame of computing with words (CW) is presented. It is shown that a set of conventional fuzzy control rules can be derived from the perception-based information using the standard-fuzzy-arithmetic-based Lyapunov synthesis approach. On the other hand, a singleton fuzzy controller can be devised by using a constrained-fuzzy-arithmetic-based Lyapunov synthesis approach. Furthermore, the stability of the fuzzy controllers can be guaranteed by means of the fuzzy version of Lyapunov stability analysis. Moreover, by introducing standard and constrained fuzzy arithmetic in CW, the 'words' represented by fuzzy numbers could be efficiently manipulated to design fuzzy controllers. The results obtained are illustrated with the design of stable fuzzy controllers for an autonomous pole balancing mobile robot.
- Dubois D. and Prade H. (1982): A class of fuzzy measures based on triangular norms-A general framework for the combination of uncertain information. - Int. J. Gen. Syst. Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 43-61.
- Gupta M.M., Trojan G.M. and Kiszka J.B. (1986): Controllability of fuzzy control systems. - IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern., Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 576-582.
- Jenkins D. and Passino K.M. (1999): An introduction to nonlinear analysis of fuzzy control systems. - J. Intell. Fuzzy Syst., Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 75-103.
- Kaufman A. and Gupta M.M. (1991): Introduction to Fuzzy Arithmetic: Theory and Application. - New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Klir G.J. and Yuan B. (1995): Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic: Theory and Applications. - Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Klir G.L. (1997): Fuzzy arithmetic with requisite constraints. - Fuzzy Sets Syst., Vol. 91, No. 2, pp. 165-175.
- Klir G.L. and Pan Y. (1998): Constrained fuzzy arithmetic: Basic questions and answers. - Soft Comp., Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 100-108.
- Li T.-H.S. and Shieh M.-Y. (2000): Switching-type fuzzy sliding mode control of a cart-pole system. - Mechatronics, Vol. 10, No. 1-2, pp. 91-109.
- Matarazzo B. and Munda G. (2001): New approaches for the comparison of L-R fuzzy numbers: A theoretical and operational analysis. - Fuzzy Sets Syst., Vol. 118, No. 3, pp. 407-418.
- Margaliot M. and Langholz G. (1999): Fuzzy Lyapunov based approach to the design of fuzzy controllers. - Fuzzy Sets Syst., Vol. 106, No. 1, pp. 49-59.
- Margaliot M. and Langholz G. (2000): New Approaches to Fuzzy Modeling and Control: Design and Analysis. - Singapore: Word Scientific.
- Nahmias S. (1977): Fuzzy variables. - Fuzzy Sets Syst., Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 97-110.
- Pedrycz W. (1994): Why triangular membership functions? - Fuzzy Sets Syst., Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 21-30.
- Slotine J.J.E. and Li W. (1991): Applied Nonlinear Control. - Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Sugeno M. (1999): On stability of fuzzy systems expressed by fuzzy rules with singleton consequents. - IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Syst., Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 201-224.
- Wang P.P. (2000): Computing with Words. - New York: Wiley.
- Wang L.-X. (1997): A Course in Fuzzy Systems and Control. - London: Prentice Hall.
- Zadeh L.A. (1973): Outline of a new approach to the analysis of complex systems and decision processes. - IEEE Trans. Syst., Man Cybern., Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 28-44.
- Zadeh L.A. (1996): Fuzzy logic = computing with words. - IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Syst., Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 103-111.
- Zadeh L.A. (1999): From computing with numbers to computing with words-from manipulation of measurements to manipulation of perceptions. - IEEE Trans. Circ.Syst., Vol. I-45, No. 1, pp. 105-119.
- Zadeh L.A. and Kacprzyk J. (1999): Computing with Words in InformationIntelligent Systems: 1. Foundations, 2. Applications. - Heidelberg: Physica-Verlag.
- Zadeh L.A. (2001): A new direction in AI: Toward a computational theory of perceptions. - AI Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 73-84.
- Zhou C., Yang Y. and Jia X. (2001): Incorporating perception-based information in reinforcement learning using computing with words, In: Bio-Inspired Applications of Connectionism (J. Mira and A. Prieto, Eds.). - Lect. Notes Comp., Berlin: Springer, pp. 476-483.
- Zhou C. (2001): Robot learning assisted by perception-based information: A computing with words approach. - Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robotic Systems, Hawaii, USA, pp. 272-277.
- Zhou C. and Ruan D. (2002): Fuzzy control rules extraction from perception-based information using computing with words. - Inf. Sci., Vol. 142, No. 1-4, pp. 275-290.