An architecture for making judgments using computing with words
Our thesis is that computing with words needs to account for the uncertainties associated with the meanings of words, and that these uncertainties require using type-2 fuzzy sets. Doing this leads to a proposed architecture for making it judgments by means of computing with words, i.e., to a perceptual computer-the Per-C. The Per-C includes an encoder, a type-2 rule-based fuzzy logic system, and a decoder. It lets all human-computer interactions be performed using words. In this paper, a quantitative language is established for the Per-C, and many open issues about the perceptual computer are described.
- Karnik N.N. and Mendel J.M. (2001): Centroid of a type-2 fuzzy set.- Inf. Sci., Vol. 132, pp. 195-220.
- Klir G.J. and Wierman M.J. (1998): Uncertainty-Based Information. -Heidelberg: Physica-Verlag.
- Liang Q. and Mendel J.M. (2000): Interval type-2 fuzzy logic systems: Theory and design. - IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 535-550.
- Mendel J.M. (1999): Computing with words, when words can mean different things to different people. - Proc. 3rd Int. ICSC Symp. Fuzzy Logic and Applications, Rochester Univ., Rochester, NY, June, pp. 158-164.
- Mendel J.M. (2001a): Uncertain Rule-Based Fuzzy Logic Systems: Introduction and New Directions. - Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Mendel J.M. (2001b): On the importance of interval sets in type-2 fuzzy logic systems. - Proc. IFSA/NAFIPS Conf., Vancouver, Canada, July, pp. 1647-1652.
- Mendel J.M. (2001c): The Perceptual Computer: An architecture for computing with words. - Proc. IEEE Conf. Fuzzy Systems, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 35-38.
- Mendel J.M. (2002): Uncertainty, type-2 fuzzy sets, and footprints of uncertainty. - Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems, Annecy, France, pp. 325-331.
- Mendel J.M. and Wu H. (2002): Uncertainty versus choice in rule-based fuzzy logic systems. - Proc. IEEE WCCI, FUZZ Conf., Honolulu, HI, pp. 1336-1341.
- Wang L.-X. (1997): A Course in Fuzzy Systems and Control. - Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Wang P.P. (Ed.) (2001): Computing With Words. - New York: Wiley.
- Yager R.R. and Filev D.P. (1994): Essentials of Fuzzy Modeling and Control. - New Jersey: Wiley.
- Zadeh L.A. (1996): Fuzzy logic = computing with words. - IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Syst., Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 103-111.
- Zadeh L.A. (1999): From computing with numbers to computing with words-from manipulation of measurements to manipulation of perceptions. - IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst.-I: Fund. Theory Applic., Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 105-119.